Wednesday, May 31, 2006

One month to renew Malaysian Passport

Categories:

Latest Update on 9 Dec 2007

Caibin, in his comments dated 7 Dec, says it now takes only one day for the renewal - send in the morning and get it back in the evening! Hurray. He(She?) also gives a good description of what to bring and how to get there. Thanks Caibin!


Recently I went to the Malaysian High Commission in Singapore to renew my passport. This was after the completion of renovation and the relocation of the High Commission back to Jarvois Road. What a new experience I have compared to the old days.

The first visit was to get and fill the application form. This is done outside of the High Commission compound where a guard house also double as a counter for the purpose. Here you must have 2 photographs ready as without the photographs the application forms will be rejected. Fret not if you do not have the photographs at hand because there are entreprising people who will direct you to a van somewhere further down the road for the photos to be taken. Not sure how much they charge though. Filling the forms need some skills because there are no tables or flat-top surfaces available. I have to use my palm as a flat surface to assist in the filling - my palmtop experience helps! For those who do not know how to fill in, you can ask the guard and they can direct you to the relevant people to fill in the form - for a fee. Not to the guard, but the guy who help you fill the form. Once everything is in order, you will be given a date to come back for the application proper, usually in about 2 weeks' time. Together with the number and date, will be a form which will indicate to you the documents needed for the next visit. No documents are needed for verification during this first visit.

In the second visit, about 2 weeks from the first, with the number and notification form given from the first visit, you will have to get a visitor pass from the same guard house to get into the compound proper. Here you will need to place a card - driving licence, NETS card or library card - in exchange for the visitor pass. They discourage IC as deposit. This is to make sure you will return the visitor pass when you are done. Only those with a pass gets to get inside; don't bring your kids along, they will not be issued any pass unless they are also renewing their passports. From here you will need to queue up again where you will be issued a queue number for your documents to be checked and thumb print scanned. Next you proceed to make the payment which cost S$130 for a 32-page book or S$260 for a 64-page book. After the payment you will be given another date yet again for the collection. Collections are done in the afternoon.

I cancelled my application after the second visit as I needed to travel before the collection date. No problem here except that I have to go through the whole process again for my re-application.

My experience with the staff had been a good one. They are cheerful and helpful. This is certainly an improvement from the old days. The new place is nice and clean. For those who are cold-blooded, bring thick clothing along. My spectacles mist up after I left the waiting room! The only grouse I have is the lack of facility and shelter around the guard house-cum-counter outside the compound. I shudder to think what it will be like during the rain.

In total 3 visits are needed with a month's duration to have the Malaysian passport renewed in the High Commission. This is a departure from previously where it only took about 1 week for a similar renewal. So be warned, renew your passport early otherwise you will unkowningly become an illegal immigrant or over-stayer!


Updated on 14 July 2006
Got my new passport today. This was after I repeated the whole process from getting a form and submission to payment. Submitted my form on 19 Jun (Day 0), have my documents checked on 30 Jun (Day 11) and collecting on 14 July (Day 26).

Whereas the submission time and checking is in the morning, collection time is in the afternoon from 2.30 pm to 4.15 pm. To get into the compound of the High Commission, again you have to get a pass. This time the number on the pass will be the queue number. I do not know what time the queue number was given out but when I arrived at 2.15 pm, my queue number is 80! When I got to the waiting area, it was packed. The counter only opened at 2.30 pm. Therefore there is a backlog of people. My suggestion is to go later than on-time (unless you can reach there early) as this will allow for the backlog to be cleared. Once you are called you have to submit your receipt to get the passport as the you passport is arranged based on the number on the receipt. If you lost the receipt, be prepared to get a mouthful and a longer wait, as it is difficult for the counter staff to find the passport, as happened to one of the collector. At least remember the number on the receipt, if not at least the day your documents were checked and the time (this was what was asked to the person). Only collected my passport at 3.30 pm!

Now to the ICA.....

Updated on 5 Jan 2007
The renewal process maybe shorter now. Fellow Malaysian in Singapore posted in the comment that his passport was renewed in just 3 days! Lucky him. Just keep in mind that the renewal process may last up to one month, otherwise you may end up like the few people I saw (who 'inspired' me to write this blog) who could not get their passports renewed in time before the expiry date.


23 comments:

iml said...

AAhhh...this is worst then the old system. I had visit MHC 3 times in year 2000. Day 1 to get the application form. Day 2, all the queue no. given out. Day 3 arrived way before 7a.m. The minute the main gate open, we(daughter & I and two acquaintances met while waiting the day before) made a mad rush.
Truly testing our determination to being malaysian :(

Anonymous said...

That's very useful because my passport expires in 2007 and I hadn't been to the new place before.

Peter

Wormie said...

IML: Actually I think it may be better now. No need to queue from 7am. Can go anytime in morning to get number.

Anonymous said...

I was shocked when I read your entry before I went to MHC to renew my passport in late Nov. I booked a tour to HK in mid Dec, but my passport had less than 6 months validity, which meant that I would not be able to make it for the trip if the process of renewal took one month.
I went on 24 Nov 06 (Fri) at about 1030 to apply for a renewal of my passport. By 1115, my application has been processed and I was told to go back on 27 Nov 06 (Mon)afternoon to collect the passport.
On 27 Nov, I arrived at 1440 and collected the passport by 1450. The whole process takes only one working day and I agree that the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. No mad rush anymore!

Wormie said...

Thank you fellow Malaysian for updating me on the latest development.

caibin said...

Today I went to renew my passport. Morning apply, collect in afternoon. very efficient.



1. take 2 blue backgound photo, no instant print, no sleeveless (what is no sleeveless??), bring also Malaysia IC, Singapore IC, one more identity card (student, driving license, etc for change of pass), in original and copy. Bring also cash S$130 for 32 pages. For form download from internet, print in one paper (2 sided), don't print in 2 paper (1 sided each). Otherwise, get from guard house free of charge.



1. take MRT to Tiong Bahru, take taxi or walk 600m North along Lower Delta Road, turn left between esso and SPC petrol station. On the second side road on right hand side, you will see guard house.



2. 7am the guard house will open for limited number of pass changing.Use non-IC type identity card to exchange. C pass is for Consular Section, I pass for passport and immigration Section, don't take wrong pass.



3. Go into the garden. Right side is Consular Section, Left side is Immigration Section+toilet.



4. In Immigration Section, queue at Counter 11. It open at 8:13am. Submit photos, copy of all ICs, old passport. He will glue your photo and give back all to you with a queue number.



5. Waiting to be called. Scan thumb print around counter 7 to 10. They will ask you to pay $$ at counter 6.



5. Pay cash at counter 6, resit is given. Passport renew is one working day. If you are early, afternoon 2:30pm can receive new passport.



6. For PR, need to go ICA 5th floor - Enquires Counter ask for Re-entry permit transfer. A simple form is given. 15 minutes waiting time.

Anonymous said...

Last week, I went to Imigeresen Wangsa Maju to make new passport. I arrived there at approx. 12:30 am. I've ready my passport pic and photocopy of ic. I got the number after filling up the form, 1150. Before I can sit, my number called. Wow, I said. Then, after the officer key in necessary part. Then, he told to wait before pay the RM300. Not more than 5 minutes, My no. is called again. I paid, and the officer said, it would be 1 hour processing time. So, I go to kedai mamak next building. I eat only 30 minutes. Then I rushed to Imigeresen again. Not more than 15 minutes My no. called again and I went to kaunter serahan. The officer told me to check and I just say OK. Then, he told me, that's all. I thank him and leave. It was 1:30 pm. I'm very satisfied with the services. I congratulate Imigresen for that.

Anonymous said...

Thank you fellow Malaysians here :)

Though this is an old entry, it definitely serves as a great help! I am going to renew my passport soon!

Will update my comment here if there is any new info ;)

clim said...

Thanks all. Very useful information and comments too. I've went to renew my passport few days ago and got it in one day. :)

Lesley said...

I am gonna renew my passport on Wednesday. Really hope it'll be done in 1 day. BTW, is the blue background passport photo available in all photo studio?

Anonymous said...

I got my new passporrt renewed in one day. Got to High Commission. I was no.19 in quee at 7.30. I was moved to no.4 being a senior citizen. I had all the forms filled from the website and all the documents required, with me. Handed in. Did not have the exact change of SD128. Got it from other applicants. Collecting my passport this afternoon. So efficient.

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the info Caibin. Went in the morning and got it in the afternoon. Very fast.

The Elevens said...

Hi folks - i need to renew my passport too... this article has been really helpful!
i just want to ask - is your old passport returned? they returned mine when i renewed 5 yrs back, so i am just double-checking now. i have a USA 10-yr visa stamp on one of the pages...

The Elevens said...

hi - this is a truly informative page of information! may i just check, do they return your old passport when you collect your new one? they did when i renewed 5 yrs back, but i guess i just need the reassurance...

tho we are all strangers, this is a similar experience that we all have in common, huh!!

anyway, kudos to the MHC for their efforts toward improving the process!!

Wormie said...

Yes they do return your old passport.

P/S. Do not throw away any old passport. Otherwise you will need to make a police report even if it was issued 10 years ago, in the event that the MHC wanted it returned

Pink Leo said...

Hmm, I had totally different experience. I went to the high comm twice at Jervois road, in Dec 06 and Jul 07, both quite fast.I got the passport on the next working day in 2006, and same day in 2007.

Anonymous said...

Many thx for the useful info. May I know whether white background photo is acceptable? Or must it be blue?

Wormie said...

Only the stipulated blue background photo is acceptable.

Bern said...

Anyone just renewed your passport recently? Do we really need to go at 7am that early?

Anonymous said...

Hi. I went to this website to download the application form for renewal of passport http://www.imi.gov.my/forms/Form_IM.42.pdf but there's error on the page! is this the correct website?
thanks a million!

Wormie said...

Anonymous, thank you for visiting.

Unfortunately unable to help you here

Anonymous said...

The passport application can now be downloaded at this link:
http://www.imi.gov.my/images/Forms/Form_IM.42.pdf

Wormie said...

Apparently, I heard that the High Comm may not accept the downloaded copy for some reasons. However, I cannot confirm this. So it would probably be better to go to the High Comm to get the physical copy.

Hopefully someone can feedback here