Monday, October 09, 2006

Who has 'more' right of way?

I was on my way to work this morning when I witnessed this incident. This incident happened in a landed HDB carpark.

There was this lady walking towards the junction when the car reached the road hump. She took a look at the car but chose to cross the road anyway. After that look, she did not look at the car while crossing the road. In the meantime the car did not make an attempt to slow down more than necessary to cross the hump. The car moved forward till very near the lady but did not touch her. Not sure if the car slowed down for her to cross or not. Although the car was very near, the lady did not even attempt to walk faster to avoid the car or look at the car; she just walk at the same casual pace as if nothing has happened. To be fair to her she may not be able to hear the car approaching so near because she has a headphone (as oppose to earplugs) on. Luckily nothing untoward happened in this incident.

This is not the first incident I witnessed in my HDB estate. People generally just cross the road, some did not aware of approaching vehicle because sometimes they forget, some are just like this lady, although not so daring. I just wonder who has 'more' right of way.

From young, we were told to look out for traffic. Hence, when I cross the road, even at zebra crossings, I make sure that the vehicles noticed me before I cross. And as I cross, I tend to look for any approaching cars so that if any 'blind' drivers are approaching, I can stop to let the vehicle through - even though I have the right of way as I am crossing the pedestrian crossing. So my upbringing is that the vehicle always has right of way, legally or otherwise.

But nowadays, things seemed to have changed. Because of the conveniece accorded to pedestrians with the pedestrian crossing light and zebra crossing, vehicles are always expected to stop for pedestrian to cross. Sometimes pedestrian actually tried to cross the road when the green man is blinking with the counter at 3 seconds. It is fine that they tried to hurry up when crossing the road. Instead they just stroll across the road as if nothing is happening - because they know that the car will not move till they had crossed the road. Anyway no driver in their right mind will want to hit them even if they slowly walk across. I had even witness two secondary school student did a jive in front of a taxi when they reached the middle of the zebra crossing!

Sometimes I feel that even though a pedestrian has the right of way, is it so wrong to give way to vehicles? A vehicle is a vehicle, it can cause you harm or even death. What is the point of being legally right, when you have to prove it with your life? Worse, if you are left permanently disabled. As for me, I rather suffer the frustrations than to be injured just to prove that I have the right of way.

I am always curious as to who has the 'more' right of way - the pedestrian or the car?
Wormie Says blogs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wormie,
I think the pedestrian always has the right of way.

I was also taught to take great care when crossing the road. In the past, they used to have clips on TV telling us to look left, look right, etc.

I agree with you that pedestrians have much less 'road awareness' these days. I also think it's a sign of inconsiderate behaviour, behaving like it's your 'grandfather's road', even if you have the right of way. (Incidentally, I think motorists also increasingly behave like it's their grandfathers' road. So you see how this clash of grandfathers can be problematic.)

My driving instructor used to tell me to always watch out for older people because, after all, he said, 'they didn't take highway code.' I agree with his perspective. However, young pedestrians behaving irresponsibly is another thing altogether.

Jeremy Lim wrote about this in TODAY yesterday (9th Oct) too.